There’s a baby boom happening at the Tiny Prints offices! Here’s a guest post from the only mommy-to-be who isn’t a first-timer, Bianca:
My husband and I are expecting our second child in less than a month, assuming he arrives on-time. We’re obviously excited, but also a little apprehensive and daunted. From what we’ve heard from other parents, having another child is exponentially more difficult than having one child. And yes, while we do know a little more of what to expect this time around, I’m starting to worry that we haven’t quite prepared for this baby as well as we prepared for the first one.
Here’s how we’re preparing (or not) for our second child…
Things we’ve done:
- Researched and bought a double stroller. There are surprisingly few options out there that work with our car seat, but this one seems to:
- Started talking to our son about how he will soon be a big brother. Luckily, our pediatrician recommended Joanna Cole’s I’m a Big Brother:
- Procured another crib since our son is still sleeping in his.
- Figured out who’s going to stay with our son while we’re in the hospital (well, sort of—perhaps we need a more solid plan…)
- Made sure that both the infant car seat and the convertible car seat fit in the backseat of our only car (phew! although now no one else will fit back there).
Things we haven’t done (at least not yet):
- Figured out where the second crib goes
- Attended a childbirth class. Who has the time with two full-time jobs and a two-and-a-half year old?
- Packed a hospital bag—gotta get on that!
- Dug out the box of newborn and 0-6 month onesies for the new baby
- Read any books like Siblings with Rivalry (which was highly recommended by the moms group I’m in), or re-read any pregnancy books. I need some time to read!\
- Settled on a name, although we’re down to two finalists…I’m not sharing them until the baby is born and we’ve selected one of them!
One mom told me the first time I was pregnant that all I needed for the baby was diapers, a place to sleep and some clothes. She was pretty much right, although we did end up getting much more than that. So I thought I’d ask the wise moms out there—anything else I’ve forgotten or anything you regret not doing before your second child was born?
Sign up for exclusive deals and offers from Tiny Prints!