I started with this sweet valentine as my inspiration. The washi tape pattern and cut-out hearts spoke to me; and the simplicity of it all lent itself perfectly to a piece of holiday art.
- Two patterns of washi tape
- White vellum paper
- Chalkboard paper (or an actual chalkboard) spray adhesive
1. Cut out equally sized circles from the vellum paper. In the center of each circle, cut out a small heart.
2. Make criss-cross Xs with the patterned washi tape. The Xs should be the same approximate height and width of the circles.
3. In a well ventilated area, spray a very light coat of adhesive on the vellum circles (this is the best way to adhere the vellum without the glue showing).
4. While the tack is setting on the circles, start applying the washi tape Xs to your chalkboard surface – be sure to leave enough room between the Xs for the circles.
5. After about a minute, the spray adhesive is usually tacky; once that happens, add the circles.
When you’re all done, slip the paper in a frame to give the impression of an actual chalkboard. And with that, your Valentine’s Day Artwork is complete.
Mimicking the X and O pattern turned out quite lovely if I do say so myself.
It’s never too late to decorate, especially with quick and easy projects like this. Visit Spool and Spoon for more creative and crafty tutorials.