What turkey is to Thanksgiving, latkes are to Hanukkah. It just doesn’t get much better than these fried, comforting delights, especially when paired with applesauce. That perfect pairing inspired us to bring the apples inside the latkes, for a spin on the traditional pure potato latkes. The result? A once-you-start-you-can’t-stop meal.
Here’s how to make your own…
- 1 potato, grated
- 2 apples (we love Honey Crisp), grated
- Half of an onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream, optional
- Applesauce, optional
- With a grater, grate the potato, apples and onions into a bowl. Take a kitchen towel and place the potato, apple and onion mixture inside and squeeze all of the water out. This makes your latkes extra crispy!
- Place the mixture in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and form into medium-sized patties.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place a few latkes in at a time and fry until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove latkes with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve pancakes topped with sour cream or applesauce.
Now that you’re in the festive mood, kick off the Festival of Lights with a gorgeous greeting from our Hanukkah collection.
Sign up for exclusive deals and offers from Tiny Prints!