Hi there, Kelsey from We Heart Parties here! Today I want to share with you my all-time favorite holiday party to throw – a Cookie Exchange. Why? Because it is EASY (the guests bring all the food!) and delicious, of course.
Throwing a Cookie Exchange is a great reason to get friends together and can be stress-free with these simple tips.
1. Be clear about the rules on the invitation. Tell your friends exactly what is required of them upfront. I recommend everyone bring two dozen of their favorite holiday cookie or bar. You might also want to let them know that they will leave with a variety of different cookies to share with their family and friends (the best news!). I found this cute Cookie Exchange invite on Tiny Prints!
2. A hot drinks bar is a must! Nothing says holiday party like warm drinks. I served Peppermint Coffee and Peppermint Tea in personalized Tiny Prints mugs with candy cane drink stirrers. Hot chocolate is always a great addition as well.
3. It’s nice to have some goodies for your guests to nibble on with their beverages before the exchange. Some ideas include mini donuts, mini coffee cakes, or my personal favorite – egg-free cookie dough bites (isn’t that the best part of baking cookies anyhow?!).
4. Pull out all your cake stands and platters. The exchange table will look much prettier if everyone’s cookies are displayed nicely. I pull out every platter, cake stand, or charger I can find and arrange them on my dining table. When people arrive I tell them to pick a platter and transfer their cookies from their plastic container to the exchange table.
5. Clearly communicate how the exchange will work. First, I have everyone take a turn explaining their cookies to the group. Then based on the number of people you have, each person gets to take one or two cookies from each platter to start. After that – it’s a free for all and people can start taking more of their favorites!
Cookie Exchanges always turn out to be a smashing success because you can’t go wrong with delicious holiday treats, warm drinks, and fun with friends.
Photos by Kyla Coots
Featured Party Invitation: Cookie Exchange Party Invitation
Sign up for exclusive deals and offers from Tiny Prints!