We are officially seven days into the New Year, and things have finally calmed down enough after the busy holiday season to stop and think about all of our goals for the coming year. If you still haven’t made New Year’s resolutions, now is the perfect time to start!
Follow these five easy steps to ensure that you achieve everything you aspire to in 2010.
- Make a list. Not a refined, edited list, but a wildly imaginative list that details everything you could possibly want to achieve this year. Buy a pair of designer shoes? Travel to South Africa? Sing at an open mic night? Whatever dreams and goals you might have, jot them down!
- Look for important themes and big ideas. You might notice your goals trending towards becoming healthier, nurturing yourself, getting organized or any number of other big ideas that are important to you.
- Select one or two. You probably can’t spend a month eating your way through Italian pizzerias AND lose 50 pounds at the same time. Focus on achieving one or two of your “big idea” goals at a time.
- Set realistic goals with timelines. When we launch a big new project at Tiny Prints, we plan it months (sometimes years!) in advance. How do we know if we’re on track or not? We set a timeline we can follow throughout the year. You can do the same by setting realistic deadlines all year long that detail how much money you want to save (or weight you want to lose, clutter you want to organize, etc!) at the end of each quarter. You can celebrate these minor milestones and also ensure that you are keeping up!
- Create action items. If your goal is to be healthier this year, make a list of small steps you can take to achieve that goal. Make a plan to buy fruits and veggies on Monday to stash as snacks for the week. Set a workout schedule involving your friends.
With a little perseverance, you’ll be on your way to living the life of your dreams in no time!