Fall’s arrival means the holiday season is quickly approaching, making now the ideal time to snap the perfect photos for your holiday cards! We know how hard it can be to get just the right image, so to help you capture the perfect moment for your holiday cards this year, we’ve put together our top photo taking tips from our professional photographers.
- The best photos have a high resolution, or pixel count. Set your camera to the highest resolution possible to get the sharpest images.
- For better balanced photos, use the Rule of Thirds. Imagine a nine-square grid in your viewfinder and position your subject at any intersection of the lines—just not in the middle. This will make your photos more interesting and your holiday cards more unique!
- Love the light. No matter how cute your kids look in a grainy or dark photo, low quality images will take away from the magic of your holiday cards. If indoors, shoot in front of a window or other well-lit place, or use your flash. If outdoors, try to avoid shooting directly into the sun or under it. If the sun is unavoidable, use your flash to lighten any shadows. Cards with well composed images will make your family shine!
- Focus, focus, focus. Use your camera’s automatic focus to get crisp images. Using your flash, even when you’re outdoors, will also help deter the blur.
- Get close and be creative. Zooming in to avoid background distractions will create impactful images. Also, mixing up your angles (vertical shots!), shooting from different distances and playing with color coordination can make all the difference in your finished product.
Take it from us—you don’t have to be a pro to take beautiful photographs for your holiday cards. Remember these tips the next time you pick up your camera and your holiday photo cards will be a beautiful success!
Sign up for exclusive deals and offers from Tiny Prints!